Actor Clooney Clooney bagged the Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama award for his role in The Descendants, beating superstars like Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt, while Meryl Streep was awarded the Best Actress in the same category for her performance in The Iron Lady.
Interestingly, Ricky Gervais, who made it to the headlines for making fun of several stars last year, was the host again on the HFPA's 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards. The comedian seemed to be mildly chastened after last year"s effort and he tried to be as decent as possible.
Winners of the 69th annual Golden Globe Awards:
- Picture, Drama: The Descendants.
- Picture, Musical or Comedy: The Artist.
- Actor, Drama: George Clooney, The Descendants.
- Actress, Drama: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady.
- Director: Martin Scorsese, Hugo.
- Actor, Musical or Comedy: Jean Dujardin, The Artist.
- Actress, Musical or Comedy: Michelle Williams, My Week With Marilyn.
- Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners.
- Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help.
- Foreign Language: A Separation.
- Animated Film: The Adventures of Tintin.
- Screenplay: Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris.
- Original Score: Ludovic Bource, The Artist.
- Original Song: Masterpiece (music and lyrics by Madonna, Julie Frost, Jimmy Harry), WE.
- Series, Drama: Homeland, Showtime.
- Series, Musical or Comedy: Modern Family, ABC.
- Actor, Drama: Kelsey Grammer, Boss.
- Actress, Drama: Claire Danes, Homeland.
- Actress, Musical or Comedy: Laura Dern, Enlightened.
- Actor, Musical or Comedy: Matt LeBlanc, Episodes.
- Miniseries or Movie: Downton Abbey (Masterpiece), PBS.
- Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Kate Winslet, Mildred Pierce.
- Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Idris Elba, Luther.
- Supporting Actress, Series, Miniseries or Movie: Jessica Lange, American Horror Story.
- Supporting Actor, Series, Miniseries or Movie: Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones.