The 20th Century Fox's latest movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes has topped the domestic Box Office with it collection crossing $54 million in its opening weekend. The earning of the film is $20 million more than the best forecast. The great word of mouth and the photo-realistic apes, created by Peter Jackson, drove the audience to the theatres.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes has also exceeded expectations at the overseas Box Office by grossing a stellar $23.4 million from 25 territories. Fox senior vice president of domestic distribution Chris Aronson said, "The combination of never-before-seen special effects combined with a powerful, emotional story made for a supremely satisfying experience at the movies."
Meanwhile, The Smurfs has remained in second spot with its estimated $21 million and it has pushed down the last week's topper Cowboys and Aliens to third position ($15.8 million). This week's another new offering The Change-Up, which features Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman, has landed in No. 4 by grossing $13.5 million.
The following is the top ten movies list at the Box Office:
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes - $54 million
- The Smurfs - $21 million
- Cowboys and Aliens - $15.8 million
- The Change-Up - $13.5 million
- Captain America: The First Avenger - $13 million
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II - $12.2 million
- Crazy, Stupid, Love - $12.1 million
- Friends With Benefits - $4.7 million
- Horrible Bosses - $4.6 million
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon - $3 million