Ryan Reynolds starrer Green Lantern has topped the Box Office with its collection crossing $52.7 million in the opening weekend. But this Warner Bros. film has become the lowest opening in superhero films of this summer when compared to X-Men: First Class and Thor, which have earned $55.1 and $65.7 million respectively in the opening weekend.
The first day collection of Green Lantern, which had crossed $21.6 million, created a hope in its bosses that it would gross $57 million to $60 million in the first three days. But the film fell 22% on Saturday. “I would have loved to see $55 million, but we have to let things play out. Schools are out now, so if we left anything on the table, we should pick it up during the week," Warner's president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said.
The 20th Century Fox film Mr. Popper's Penguins also made soft opening with its gross $18.2 million, which is less than what Fox originally hoped for. The movie landed in 3rd position losing out the No. 2 spot to Super 8, which was released on June 10. Super 8 enjoyed a good hold in its second weekend, grossing $21.3 million.
The following is the list of Top Ten movies at the Box Office:
- Green Lantern - $52.7 million
- Super 8 - $21.3 million
- Mr. Popper's Penguins - $18.2 million
- X-Men: First Class - $11.5 million
- The Hangover Part II - $9.6 million
- Kung Fu Panda 2 - $8.7 million
- Bridesmaids - $7.5 million
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - $6.2 million
- Midnight in Paris - $5.2 million
- Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer - $2.2 million