Washington (ANI): 'Dear John," a romantic drama based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, has topped the weekend box office, knocking 'Avatar" out of the top spot. According to studio estimates, 'Dear John,' opened with sales of 32.4 million dollars for Sony Corp. 'Avatar" had 23.6 million dollars in receipts in second place.
'From Paris with Love" landed the third spot with 8.1 million dollars while 'Edge of Darkness" came fourth with 7 million dollars. 'The Tooth Fairy" rounded off the top five with 6.5 million dollars, reports E! Online.
The weekend's top-grossing films are:
1. Dear John, $32.4 million
2. Avatar, $23.6 million
3. From Paris with Love, $8.1 million
4. Edge of Darkness, $7 million
5. The Tooth Fairy, $6.5 million
6. When in Rome, $5.5 million
7. The Book of Eli, $4.8 million
8. Crazy Heart, $3.7 million
9. Legion, $3.4 million
10. Sherlock Holmes, $2.6 million