Dilip S Kumar, born as Muhammad Yusuf Khan celebrates his 91st birthday today (born 11 December 1922). Dilip Kumar, popularly known as a 'Tragedy King' in his times was one of the few actors who brought in a great deal of class in the films that he acted in. He was even described as the 'ultimate method actor' by Satyajit Ray!
Dilip Kumar, who made his debut as an actor with Jwar Bhata in 1944 went on to do more than 60 films over a career spanning six decades. The talented actor believed in doing one film at a time and has starred in a variety of genres such as Andaz (1949), Aan (1952) and Devdas (1955). Dilip Kumar broke the notion of him being a 'serious actor by doing a comical titled Azaad (1955). He also did a historical Mughal-e-Azam (1960) and Ganga Jamuna (1961) that touched upon the social aspect.
On Dilip Kumar's 91st birthday, we bring to you certain unknown facts about the legend....
- Dilip Kumar, who was the face to many Mohammed Rafi melodies on screen, is a very good singer himself.
- Dilipji, who was always known as a serious actor is in reality a very fun loving person and can make people laugh for hours.
- Dilip Kumar loves cricket. According to late Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi (Captain of Indian cricket team), Dilip Kumar once hit 'six' on a very well known bowler's ball during one of the charity functions.
- The talented actor is such a perfectionist that he even learnt sitaar for 'Madhuban Mein Raadhika Naache Re,' a song sequence of his hit film Kohinoor.
- Dilip Kumar did some good social work too and did some valuable and dedicated work for the National Association for the Blind (NAB). Dilipji made sure that he always attended the annual event of the NAB train run for fund raising.
Oneindia wishes Dilip Kumar a 'very happy birthday' and hope that he is blessed with good health and happiness for the rest of his life.